Friday, January 1, 2010

T-minus 32 hours and other January plans

10:45 PM 01/01/10...T-minus 32 hours.

The Biggest Loser contest I have entered has its first weigh-in Sunday morning. And I intend to win!

This is deja vu all over again because I won the women's portion of a BL contest at the start of 2009. And yet, here I am.

What can I do this year to make sure the result is different? Internet searches and leafing through books and magazines brings some inspiration, and some helpful tips. But am I determined? Have I decided?

That's the key, isn't it? Because I do get to decide...every minute of every day, I decide what I will put in my body and what type of energy I will exert. So this chance is exciting. I am inspired by the opportunity to have others looking over my shoulder as I choose new eating and exercising habits.

You see, I watch The Biggest Loser every season, but I don't find it to be especially inspirational. The trainers or contestants pretend I should be able to lose weight because folks on "the ranch" do. Really? REALLY??

Dig this, Jillian - I am not on a ranch, with a personal trainer in my face, with a chef to prepare my meals, and all other daily obligations removed. You put me on that ranch and I will leave in sizzlin' hot shape.

What should inspire me is the genetic ties to diabetes and heart disease, my increasing problems with asthma, and the discomfort caused by the 50 pounds of junk that has accumulated in my midsection. There is a beloved dog who needs to walk more, home projects to be completed, fun clothes that haven't been worn for 2 years. And they are currently buried under fatigue-inducing fat!

So I have decided. Drawn the line. Frequently visualized how I will look and feel. I am going to share this journey...right down to listing my weight and measurements. Maybe it will help someone else.

I have been thin, and I have been identified by the Wii Fitness Board tyrant as "obese" - I like thin better. My eating habits will change. But for most of us, it's not about the food. Food is the self-medication, not the issue...we'll talk about this along the way.

Come along. It will be fun for both of us!

See you tomorrow...Beth

No comments: