Monday, October 1, 2012

Father Hopko and an October of Discipline


I play this game at night - maybe you do too. I say I am going to get out of bed the first time I feel awake. Not when I turn over to see the clock at 1:34, but really awake enough to put my feet on the floor.
Then it happens, like it did this morning at 4:41, and I'm all "WHOA too early!" 

Have you been there?

If you have been tracking with me, you know I am walking through Father Thomas Hopko's 50 Maxims For Christian Living. Sauntering might be more appropriate.

The third maxim is: Have a keepable rule of prayer done by discipline.
Simple enough, isn't it?

Except for the discipline part. I struggle with discipline. Always have. Don't like it.

That lack of discipline is insidious...and slowly, steadily destructive.
I start out the day with excellent intentions, but other stuff jumps in the way.
Does that happen to you?
Today becomes tomorrow, next week, next year...and I haven't lost the weight, written the book, sold the junk, blah blah blah.
I know I have missed opportunities because of this lack of discipline. Maybe you have as well?

Have a keepable rule of prayer done by discipline.
Okay, Father Hopko, I will take that challenge.
October - 31 Days of Writing...31 Days of Disciplined Prayer.
I am believing that other disciplines will fall in place as a result.

Join me on this journey, won't you?
We will talk tomorrow!

BP :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh yes, Beth. You are NOT alone! I'm excited to see Daylight Savings kick in, because then I will finally be up at 6 without actually getting up any earlier... ahem...

And why is it that even though I KNOW that if I don't eat after 6 I'll lose weight almost instantly, I think my body isn't paying attention at 11 o'clock THIS night, and I can slip something by it unnoticed?

Discipline! oh yeah...