Saturday, October 5, 2013

Jeremiah 29:11 and what Chizzie taught me {Day 5}

Note to readers: This is a revised version piece was written several years ago. Chizzie, my beloved cat, died in October 2011. The lessons he taught still ring true.

Chizzie's Tale

Jeremiah 29:11  “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

This is one of my life verses.
I memorized it years ago and it is always on my list of “favorite” Bible verses.

Which doesn’t mean I have fully embraced it.

How about you?
Do you ever catch yourself in direct contrast to a favorite quotation or Bible passage?
No? Must just be me. Okay.

My friend, J David Panther, often reminded me that God’s plan has two parts, His part and my part. I can’t do God’s part – and He won’t do my part.
This verse is filled with promise – God’s part.

But do I listen? Do I obey? Do I even believe? Do I do my part?

One morning, during my devotion time, I looked at the cat curled on my lap and thought about this verse…God has funny ways sometimes.

Chizzie is unlike any other cat I’ve had. He is absolutely devoted to me. My friends say he is madly in love with me. And, I guess he is, as much as a cat can be.

When I pull in front of the house, he is waiting in the window, even if I am later than usual. Then he bolts to the front door and does a little dance when I come in. If I park in the garage, he’s waiting at the back door.

He follows me everywhere, and when I sit down, he is immediately on my lap, bumping his head against my arm until I pet him. If he has fallen asleep and I need to move, he doesn’t get irritated, just follows me again.

Every time I speak his name, he looks at me. Every time.
If he is sleeping in a distant corner of the house, I only need to whistle the Penn State Fight Song and he is at my feet.

He sleeps at my side and his day starts when mine does, even when that’s 5:30am.

When he’s hungry, he waits until I go to the kitchen, then he sits at the top of the stairs leading to the lower level and stares at me. When I start to move toward him, he runs down the stairs… and when I reach the bottom he is sitting in front of the empty bowl waiting.

And I think…I need to be more like this cat!

You see, God has a plan for my life and for yours. It’s a GOOD plan.

But when God is an hour later than I expected him to be, do I still dance for joy? When I am waiting at the front door, and He comes in the back, do I run to Him – or do I let it be known that MY plan was different?

Do I follow Him through every room of my life? Are there rooms I won’t go in? Rooms which are dark and unfamiliar, and because I can’t see the plan at that moment I refuse to go in?

How about you?

For I know the plans I have for you…

Yes, I do rest in His presence. But if I am comfortable, do I grumble when He says “Get up”?

Do I allow Him to be the “alarm clock” in my day or is it inconvenient to have to change my schedule to cooperate with His masterful plan?

How about you?

Plans to prosper you and not to harm you…

Am I in tune with Him to the degree that I turn and look at Him each time He speaks my name? Do I ever respond to something as subtle as the whistling of a song?

And when I have a need, do I keep my eyes on Him? Do I wait with calm assurance knowing my bowl will be filled?

How about you?

Plans to give you hope and a future…

God has a plan. It’s a GOOD plan. A plan to prosper me, a plan to give me a good future and hope for my final outcome!

And God keeps His promises. He is going to do His part.

My part is to listen for His voice, trust in His provision, follow where He leads, rest in His presence, and dance for joy.


Chizzie has it right...I should pay attention and do likewise.

We will talk again tomorrow...
BP

I’m participating with The Nester in 31 Days of Examining My Heart.
This is Day 4.
You can find all 31 Dayers here. There are so many wonderful topics.
If you miss any days in the series, you can find the introduction and each day's post here.




Beth Painter is a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow this blog, or on her “Think Big focus small” Facebook page.
Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life!

No comments: