Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Tennyson, blessed assurance, and "So Long" {Day 23}

My uncle’s funeral was today. Some things get easier with practice. Not funerals.

Funerals, of course, remind us of our own mortality, of the fragility of life. It is especially confronting to say “So long” to someone who has been part of your life since birth. Again, not something that gets easier with practice. 

On days like this, my faith, my family’s faith, is a blessing beyond description.   The promise of salvation is the only way this day could be remotely bearable.

It is late. I am tired.

So I leave you with this…a poem that was read at the funeral of each of my maternal grandparents.
The poem speaks of death being a passage, not an end...change, not finalit

That resonates with me today.

Rest well, Uncle John. We will see you again.

Crossing the Bar

Sunset and evening star,
      And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
      When I put out to sea,

   But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
      Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
      Turns again home.

   Twilight and evening bell,
      And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
      When I embark;

   For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
      The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
      When I have crossed the bar.


We will talk again tomorrow…
BP

I’m participating with The Nester in 31 Days of Examining My Heart.
This is Day 23.
You can find all 31 Dayers here. There are so many wonderful topics.
If you miss any days in the series, you can find the introduction and each day's post here.



Beth Painter is a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.

Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life!

No comments: