Tuesday, October 14, 2014

ALLOWING ME {Day 14} Giving up struggle...

Oct 14…Already?

I have been reading posts from other 31 Days writers and found a similar story. For those of us who don’t write ahead, some days slip away. For me, there are blocks I can’t seem to get past on certain days.

But, here I am…back to ALLOWING myself to give up.

This morning, as I rush to do nine things before I need to be out the door - and one of them is be creative – I am reminded that it is okay to give up struggling and trying so hard.

It is.

I am not suggesting laziness. Or unwillingness to push through. Or lack of commitment.

I am certainly not suggesting we quit every time something is challenging.

I think you know what I mean, don’t you?

Do you struggle with things…To quit smoking? To get your partner to quit smoking? To lose weight? To find a new job? To do what everyone else identifies as the most important tasks? To make peace in a quarreling family?

To runkidsbakecookiescleanthehousemkesurehomeworkisdonebuygroceriesfeedthedog…then stare at the ceiling and wonder why you can’t sleep and feel bad for not doing your devotional or writing a blog.

Do you struggle with ALLOWING yourself to stop doing and just BE?

I surely do. I am rarely still. Rarely doing less than two things.

If you have been following this blog, you know one of the results is the lack of a daily post.

But the results go much deeper. On days there is no post, it means I never took time to ALLOW thoughts to simply flow. Didn’t take five minutes to relax – because if I had, the thoughts would flow freely. Couldn’t stop doing/trying/pushing long enough to breathe.

Do you ever think about how struggle affects you?

I have been dealing with some big challenges for much longer than I anticipated. Some days I simply want a task that has a beginning and an end. I want to feel like SOMETHING got done.

Do you know what I mean? I think you do.

Here is a song from one of my favorite artists that speaks to this:

And this:

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:6-7)

I am heading to the sauna to be quiet, maybe read, hopefully listen.

Since I have some catching up to do, we will talk later…

BP

I am participating in a 31 Day blog challenge. My topic is Allowing Me… You can see preceding days below this blog. You can see other bloggers here.

Beth Painter is, among many other things, a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.
Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life! 

4 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I need space for ideas to flow.

Fondly,
Glenda

Zion said...

I get what you are saying. It doesn't mean laziness at all, I think it's an important lesson.

Anonymous said...

Great reminder to take time to think, meditate, to allow God to speak to us!

Jennifer Kostick said...

I just celebrated my second blogging anniversary. Over the first year, I was worried all the time about writing consistently, commenting and link ups. I felt the Lord whispering to me, "slow down." Over the last year, I link up with what feels right, write when I can, and comment when I can find the time. I don't force anything anymore and believe it or not, my blog and speaking ministry has grown abundantly since then. Yes, take time for you and follow what the Lord gives you to write when you can. It looks to me like you are doing great!