Saturday, December 7, 2013

READY [Advent Day 7]

My friend Joni does a very cool thing each Christmas. She picks someone and makes the Twelve Days of Christmas a real occurrence...not with swans and geese and pipers.

Yesterday she surprised me with news that she is honoring me this year. Joni and I have been friends for 25 years. Not always close friends, but never off each other's radar. Each of us has grown a lot during that time. We will probably never be talk-every-day kind of friends, but there is comfort in the longevity.

Maybe you are like me. I have been very busy getting ready, decorating, thinking about presents, on and on and on.
Maybe you are like me. Other life stuff has been at the front of my brain. Challenging stuff.
Maybe you are like me. I am fully aware it is December 7. And while this is my favorite holiday, I haven't embraced it yet.
This year has been difficult for many reasons, not the least of which is the loss of parts of two fingers and ongoing financial litigation.
Your challenges are probably different...but equally difficult.

I thought about all of the above as I was cleaning today...then I walked past the Nativity set in the picture.
Maybe your house is like mine. Baby Jesus is in a drawer until Christmas Eve.

I thought about Joni telling me that if I was not yet, in the spirit - not yet READY - the Twelve days would be just wanted I needed.

I looked at the empty spot where the Baby will be and thought: I'm READY.

READY to embrace this Baby yet again.
READY to have at least a bit of time to focus on why He came, what His birth means.
READY.

Maybe you are like me.

We will talk again tomorrow...
BP

I am participating in an Advent photo-a-day exercise. ReThinkChurch.org is facilitating the practice by providing a one word prompt each day. Participants are encouraged to share how we perceive each word. 
You can find out more and join here.



Beth Painter is a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.

Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life!


No comments: