Friday, January 2, 2015

1/1/15 She puzzled and puzzled till her puzzler was sore...

Today I am thinking about what I’m thinking about. 

The Gregorian calendar turns to a new year today.  It doesn’t feel much different to me. How about you?

New Year’s resolutions don’t move me much. I started a better eating and exercise plan in September, so need to resolve anything new there.

But these words inspire me: As a man thinks in his heart, so he is (Proverbs 23:7)

Gill’s Exposition gives this explanation: He is not the man his mouth speaks or declares him to be, but what his heart thinks.

This is a universal principle, not exclusive to Christians.

We all know people who say one thing and do another, don’t we? That is one way of looking at these words.

Here is another – what you think about is what you become. What you focus on is what happens.

Franklin Roosevelt said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” 
Most of us recognize that  quote, but have you read it in context? “This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”

Focus on fear and we will fail.
Jesus had His own explanation. Here is the important back story – Jesus had sent the disciples out in pairs to minister to the people. He told them, “I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy, and you can walk among snakes and scorpions and crush them. Nothing will injure you.” The story picks up sometime later when a man asked the disciples to cure his son of epilepsy and they were unable.
 (Matt 17: 18-20 AMP)  And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly.Then the disciples came to Jesus and asked privately, “Why could we not drive it out?”  He said to them, Because of the littleness of your faith [that is, your lack of firmly relying trust]. For truly I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, Move from here to yonder place, and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.
Did you hear that? If I need to move a mountain, and I picture the mountain moving, and I have belief and trust comparable to the size of the smallest seed, and I say, “MOVE mountain,” it will move. Nothing will be impossible. 
Nothing will be impossible.
Nothing will be impossible – if I have one speck of firmly relying trust.
Do I? Do you?
I can talk about faith all day, but the mountain only moves when my thoughts and beliefs line up with my mouth.
I get what I think about. Period.
I get what I think about. Every day. Whether I want it or not.
I get what I think about and focus on and believe I will get. No exceptions.
So do you.
In 2015, I resolve to think about what I am thinking about.
Now THERE is a resolution that inspires me.
We will talk again soon…

BP :)

Beth Painter is, among many other things, a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.
Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life! 

No comments: