Friday, August 24, 2012

Five Minute Friday: JOIN


I am participating in an exercise called FIVE MINUTE FRIDAYS. Here is how it works:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.  
http://lisajobaker.com/five-minute-friday/
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. 

Here is today's exercise: JOIN



Did you know it is back To School time? Hard to miss, isn't it. New classes, new clothes, new supplies, new friends...C'mon kids - JOIN in!
It has been said that 20 years from now, you and I will regret what we did NOT do much more than we regret what we do.
Believe that. Tell the people you love to believe it. Because I know it to be true.
"JOIN" reminds me that I played the clarinet and saxophone from 4th-12th grade, but when tryouts for PSU Blue Band came to my high school, I did not JOIN in.
Fear told me I might not make it.
"JOIN" reminds me that I played baseball/softball my whole life. but when I was the last person cut from the PSU softball team as a freshman, FEAR told me never to JOIN in again. Not softball or basketball. Not chorus. Not writing groups. Not social groups.
FEAR told me I was not welcome to JOIN.
"JOIN" reminds me that Jesus said, Come, Knock, Open, Seek. All JOINing initiatives I must take. But FEAR is a killer.
This is especially difficult for someone who is wired to be outgoing and gregarious. FEAR has crippled my ability to JOIN in.
Can I get a witness?
"JOIN" reminds me that I want to - no I MUST -  use the tremendous gifts I have been given to write, to motivate, to help people find their passion and reach their potential. It is in me. And it is big.
But FEAR says, what if I JOIN the blogging/Facebook page revolution and no one reads it? What if I offer speaking and writing skills and no one bites? What if I want to JOIN, and get no response.
"Scared to death" is a very real emotion when it keeps one's dream at bay and makes JOINing so difficult.
Do you understand? I think you do.
.

3 comments:

Sweet Lexi said...

Thanks for sharing on Five Minute Friday. Your post is almost exactly how I was feeling and why I made the decision to "join" for the first time this Friday!

Have a blessed weekend!

Rob, Melanie and Samuel said...

You capture so much in these words!
Hadn't thought about the connection of fear and joining- but it is so there.

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,

Yes, I do understand. I understand very much. It was interesting to me that you were in band (me, too!) and that you had trouble with baseball (me, too!) and that you have realized that God is calling you to use the gifts He has given you, (me, too!)

Thank you for sharing this about yourself. You really engaged me as a reader of your post.