Friday, October 5, 2012

Power of Words, French Toast, and 31 Days to Being a Real Writer

Day 4. Written late on 10/4...unable to post until now

Busy day. I have been working on a piece,but clearly, at this point, it is not going to be done today.

Right now (10:45pm) I am sitting in Eat N' Park (for non-Pittsburghers, it is a 24 hour restaurant chain), drinking coffee and waiting to pick up a friend at the airport. 11:30pm arrival. What kind of nonsense is that?

So I am thinking about the power of words. It is an important topic which will be discussed at length sometime during this October project. But today I just want to plant a seed.

You know how you sometimes want something little to eat, just a snack, not sure what, aren't really hungry just want a nibble? You get it. I wanted coffee - the airport is an hour from home - and a bite. Just couldn't put a finger on what. When Anthony, my very nice waiter brought coffee, he offered to answer any questions I had about the menu. I told him the only question I had was, "What do I want to eat?"

Without hesitation, he said, "French Toast Smile with bacon!" then walked away to give me more time.
I looked over the menu, but all I could hear in my head was "French Toast Smile" - which, by the way, I have never ordered.
Anthony laughed when I placed my French Toast Smile order. But once he said it, especially with such conviction, it was all I could see on the menu.

Obviously, this was not a life altering decision. And you might discount the importance of a late night meal choice. But here is the truth - words are powerful, and that power cannot distinguish between important decisions and unimportant ones.
Words you say stick in people's heads, affect their thought processes, may alter decisions they make.
Words you allow into your head affect you in the same way.

Will you do this with me...will you think about this for the next few days?
Think about the words you choose and the tone you use.  How may those words affect people?

Think about the words you allow in. The television shows you watch, the conversations you join, the thoughts you entertain. Notice how much you complain or bean your circumstances. How may those words affect you?

I will do the same.
We will talk again about this soon.

Back to my French Toast...
BP :)

No comments: