Thursday, October 2, 2014

Allowing Me {Day 2} Who Am I Anyway?



Part of the music serenading my first two years of college was the soundtrack from “A Chorus Line.” Two of my best friends/neighbors had seen the Broadway show and identified with different characters. The story revolves around auditions for a dance troupe. At one point, the troupe leader asks each dancer to give an introduction, and we see the joys and pains and struggles of these 17 dancers who so much want a spot.

One portion of one song comes immediately to mind for me…from “Paul” as he waits to audition:
Who am I anyway? Am I my resume?
That is a picture of a person I don’t know.
What does he want from me? What should I try to be?

Those words resonate with me, because I spent a great deal of my life asking them. What does he want? What does she want? Who do they expect me to be? What will make him/her happy?
And which voice do I allow to be the dominant one?

Years of trying to answer those questions leads to this one: Who am I anyway?

Then, at the right time, come these words from John 10:17…  My sheep recognize My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

The voice of the One who created universes and created me is the same voice. The Source of my very being is alive and active and willing to speak, wanting to speak to me. The Creator of all things knows the path that brings well-being and success and blessing…and wants me to know it too.

I don’t always allow it.

I choose the path of greatest resistance.

How about you?

Do you need to relax and breathe and allow the voice of the One who knows you and loves you best speak to your heart?

We can work on it together.

I’ll see you tomorrow for Day 3 and we will talk more about this…


BP

I am participating in a 31 Day blog challenge. My topic is Allowing Me… You can see preceding days below this blog. You can see other bloggers here.

Beth Painter is, among many other things, a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.
Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life! 

1 comment:

Eric Park said...

Wow, Beth--'relax and breathe and allow the voice of the One who knows you and loves you best speak to your heart' sounds a lot like Sabbath to me. Thanks for calling us to the depths so meaningfully.