Friday, February 24, 2012

The Word became a human and lived among us. We saw His true glory—the glory that belongs to the only Son of the Father—and He was full of grace and truth. John 1:14


If you read my blog on Ash Wednesday, you know I made a few promises. Two people at church reminded me of the 40 blog commitment.

I don't make promises often because they are so much easier to make than keep- even with the best intention. On the other hand, promises keep us accountable. I willingly obliged myself to that. Promises of completed blogs and lost pounds and a closer walk.

What I sometimes forget is that I have the greatest power in the Universe willing to help me keep my promises.

Do you ever forget that?

I made You promises a thousand times


I tried to hear from Heaven, but I talked the whole time


I think I made You too small...


If You touched my face would I know You?


Looked into my eyes could I behold You?

In Palm Springs, CA the weather this weekend will be 80 degrees and sunny. The Ohio State Buckeyes will enjoy good weather for their softball tournament! Here in Western PA...yeah, weather not so much like that.

Of course, we do have sunny days in the 80's. But the sun looks and feels different depending on where you are. Have you noticed that? Since I have not yet been west of the Mississippi River, West Coast sun is unfamiliar to me. I had hoped to be in Palm Springs to see the tourney, and I was so looking forward to CA sunshine! Life had different plans.

What do I know of You who spoke me into motion?


Where have I even stood but the shore along Your ocean?

For ten Buckeyes, California is home - and they are delighted to be there! Visiting California will be exciting for me, but I will never know the state and the culture like those girls do. They speak of CaliSWAG, and I get what they mean, but I can't feel it.

In the same way, I laugh when people from warm climates say how much they love snow. But if you spent your life in the South or Southwest, you don't know snow. You don't know shoveling and cleaning cars and driving in it for several months a year.

Which brings me back to the Scripture verse, and to promises...

There are many places I want to see; California, Greece, Italy...I have read about all of them. But reading about them and being there, knowing them, are entirely different.

I have read many books about Jesus, seen movies, participated in Bible studies, sat in church every Sunday for many years.

Does that mean I know Him? Do you know Him? REALLY know Him?

What do I know of Holy? What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame?


And a God who gave life its name?


What do I know of Holy? Of the One who the angels praise?


All creation knows Your name on earth and heaven above, What do I know of this love?

The Word - Jesus - became a human being and came to live with us. Say it out loud. He wasn't content want to watch from His throne. He wanted to be where we are. Do you get that?

The "living with us" part isn't past tense. He wants to know us. Me and you. Your partner, your kids, the politicians you despise, the athletes you love.

The people who walked with Him on this Earth had the opportunity to see his true Glory, had the chance to experience his love and grace first-hand. But so do we!

God's promises to us are as real today as the day He made them. And He is always faithful.

The cool thing is that He is willing to help us in every way. When I make a promise to write 40 blogs in 40 days, He will help. When I make a promise to lose 20 pounds in 40 days, He will help.

When you make a promise to spend more time with your family, or rid your home of "stuff" or read the Bible daily, He will help.

If we let him...you knew there was a catch.

I know in the next 40 days, I am going to turn on the TV, and He will nudge me...40 blogs? Or maybe I will reach for chips in the store and get a little shock... 20 pounds?

People say they don't hear or feel nudges like that, but I know He does that. And here is the hard truth...for a long time, I didn't feel it because I didn't pay attention. How about you? OUCH ??

Then I caught a glimpse of who you might be,


The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees

I can still choose not to pay attention, but I won't.

I won't because I have seen his hand, have seen Him work in my life, have been a recipient of His grace.

I don't want to just read about California - I want to be there.

I don't want know who Jesus is - I want to know Him.

How about you?

Maybe we can help each other in the next 38 days.

We will talk again soon...

BP :)

No comments: