Tuesday, October 22, 2019

A. Joanne, U. John... and 70 years





It is time for bed, but only right to close the day with a word about this beloved couple on their 70th anniversary.

The picture was taken on their honeymoon, the start of a new journey.

I am moved by those young, beautiful faces. John was 23. Joanne, my mother’s older sister, was 20. Dressed to the nines in NYC, full of excitement and anticipating life together.

Life brought them nine babies and the loss of parents, siblings, and two of htose precious babies. It brought a successful business built on hard-work, part-time side jobs, and time away from the kids.  It brought a large extended family, loyal friends, a house…a home.

The fruits of their 58 years together here - steadfast love, commitment to each other, generosity with money, time, and spirit gifted to family and friends - continue to be seen and felt.

On the 7th anniversary they have celebrated together in heaven, I hope they know how far the ripples have spread.

I hope the joys of life together were deeper because they chatted about them before falling asleep. I hope the sorrows were manageable because they held each other’s hands when sleep wouldn't come.

I hope they had laughs and inside jokes and delights none of us ever knew. I know they continue to laugh together at new jokes and old memories.

I hope my ripples spread like theirs.

I hope they hear me whispering that my love and respect for them grows as the years pass, and I still watch meteors with a smile. 

I hope you are blessed by the love and influence of people like them. I hope you tell them.

Thanks, A. Joanne & U. John. Happy Anniversary!!

We will talk again soon…
BP


Two lights that shine as one
Morning glory and midnight sun
Time we've learned to sail above
Time won't change the meaning of one love
Ageless and ever evergreen




Beth Painter is, among many other things, a writer, photographer, and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page. Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life!

No comments: