Tuesday, October 20, 2015

{Day 20} Feeding the wolves...




You have probably heard the Native American story about the two wolves battling inside each of us. One is angry, bitter, jealous. The other is loving, kind, generous. Upon hearing this story from his grandfather, a young boy asks which one lives.

Grandpa replies, “The one you feed.”

Last week we touched briefly on how we think about our desires, dreams and goals. But it is worth exploring further.

Our desires and dreams often have two wolves. One is believing, visualizing the dream as a reality. The other is focusing on the absence of it.

Which one do we feed?

Have you heard someone say, “I have been to five healing services, but I doubt I will ever be healthy again!”

Or, “I work so hard, but I will never get a raise!”
Or, “I could exercise two hours every day and I would still be fat!”
Or, “I will never be able to afford a new car or house!”

I don’t pretend to know the mind of our incredibly gracious God, but I have to wonder what He thinks about that?

When I hear it, I want to say, “Well, it seems you have decided which wolf to feed.”

You can be or do or have anything you focus on. And you get what you think about most, whether you want it or not.
Don’t underestimate the power of your focus and your thoughts.

Here is one of my favorite Bible passages…and one I use sometimes to pull myself back to a place of believing, of positive focus:

Is 43: 18-19
The Lord says, “Forget what happened before, and do not think about the past.
 Look at the new thing I am going to do.
 It is already happening. Don’t you see it?
 I will make a road in the desert and rivers in the dry land.

So will God refuse to grant prayer requests if we don’t believe.
Again, I don’t know the mind of God, but it is hard for me to imagine Him being punitive in that way.
But what if a lack of belief caused us to be unable to see the outcome of answered prayer?

Hmmmm…

Look at the new thing I am going to do.
It is already happening. Don’t you see it?

What do you see? Which wolf are you feeding?

We will talk more tomorrow…

Thanks for reading.

BP J


I am participating in Write 31 Days. Click here to read more about it and see the other amazing bloggers.
You can see earlier entries below this blog or in the sidebar under 2015.
Beth Painter is, among many other things, a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.

Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life! 

No comments: