Saturday, October 3, 2015

{Day 3} Making a choice about what we are ALLOWING



It is Saturday at 10:27pm.

Back in August, I considered choosing a topic for this Write31Days challenge. “Considered” being the operative word.

So here I am, starting today’s blog. To be sure, I have been rolling around subjects all day. Now I am inspired. Or maybe just unwillingly to miss a day.

My beautiful dog is at the other end of the couch, worried that I won’t get a good blog written. Worried that I haven’t yet decided what to wear to church – what if I need to iron something?? What if I don’t have time to feed her in the morning? What if I don’t get enough sleep and I get sick?

Okay, she’s not doing that.  Dogs don’t worry. Birds don’t worry. Cats don’t worry. Babies don’t worry. In fact, people don’t worry until they are taught, generally by example, to do so.

Jesus certainly has words regarding worry. Familiar words about birds and flowers.

Consider these words from the apostle Paul as well:
“No unbelief or distrust made Abraham waver (doubtingly question) concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong and was empowered by faith as he gave praise and glory to God.” Romans 4:20 AMP

Abraham had waited a long time for God’s promise to make him the father of many nations.
LONG time. Decades. And he was an old man. Before the little blue pill existed.

Abraham had reason to worry.

Sometimes we fashion Biblical characters as superheroes, different from us, immune to human emotions. Not true. Abraham was a regular old dude, trying to obey God. Just like we are.

No unbelief or distrust made Abraham waver…

Interesting that the text doesn’t say no amount of years, no amount of watching other people have babies, no amount of his wife’s questions.

It says Abraham did not waver in his thinking. He did not allow himself to be unsteady by going back and forth in his belief that God keeps His promises. He did not speak contrary to God’s words.

The verse does NOT say he never had a moment of doubt. It doesn’t say the thought never crossed his mind that maybe he misunderstood what God had promised. Abraham was, after all, human.

The key is when the thought came Abraham did not allow it to make him waver. He made a choice. He grew strong and was empowered by faith as he gave praise and glory to God.

We make choices like that dozens of times a day. Worry, grumbling, complaining, murmuring all choices that take us away from the promises and the riches the Creator has in store for us.

At least one of you reading this doesn’t like that statement. After all, everyone grumbles, right? And who doesn’t worry?

I heard this statement recently and it smacked my head so hard that I grabbed a pencil and wrote it down:
I can’t hold onto a pleasant thought and feel bad and I can’t hold onto an unpleasant thought and feel good.

Did you HEAR that?

I can’t hold onto a pleasant thought and feel bad and I can’t hold onto an unpleasant thought and feel good.

I could dig up a dozen quotes, Biblical and secular, about the folly and futility and unpleasant consequences of worrying, fretting, and complaining.

Do I need more than this: I can’t worry or complain and feel good at the same time. I can’t worry or complain and give praise and glory to God at the same time.

Do you need more than that?

There is nothing incredibly deep here tonight. But someone needed to hear this.

You can’t worry and feel good at the same time. Only one is allowed.

You can’t complain and feel good at the same time. Only one is allowed.

You can’t hold anger and resentment and feel good at the same time. Only one is allowed.

It’s your choice to waver or not. Your choice to praise or not. Your choice is to believe or not. Your choice to feel good or not. Only one is allowed.

No, no…it really is that simple. It is. Not easy, but simple.

Thanks for reading.

We will talk again tomorrow… there is much more to say about ALLOWING.


BP J

I am participating in Write 31 Days. Click here to read more about it and see the other amazing bloggers.
You can see earlier entries below this blog or in the sidebar under 2015.
Beth Painter is, among many other things, a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.
Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life! 

No comments: