Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Father Hopko, Tori the Wonder Dog...and my whining {Day 14}

As I work on this post, Tori the wonder dog is relaxing on the couch with me.
She is on a blanket, her head on a pillow, with her bunny under one paw…it’s been a hard day.

I am thinking today about Fr Thomas Hopko’s 55 Maxims for Christian Living. 
If you have been tracking with me, you know I have used this list as a reference before. For your consideration today:

39. Don't complain, mumble, murmur or whine.

Oh my.
Fr Hopko challenges me.

I turn to my right to see that Tori is unfazed by these words. HMMPPH!

Tori is, admittedly, rather spoiled. But she doesn’t always get her own way. She would like to walk more often...often, her designated walker is too busy for more than one daily walk.
When I take out my car keys, she runs to the door…and often, doesn’t go.
When I walk near the cupboard that holds her Greenies she dances…and often has to attempt to exist on one Greenie per day.

But but BUT she never complains. 
Never holds a grudge.
Maybe she murmurs to the cat.
But I never hear her whine.

I know…she’s a dog, with a short attention span.

Still a good example.


I do all of those lovely things Fr Hopko decries.
Well, I don’t mumble much. The rest? More than I should.

How often is that, you ask?

I read recently that complaining is actually me telling God I don’t like my situation and don’t think He is doing a very good job.
Hmmm….

In that light, “how often is too often” becomes a moot question.

How about you? Are you pretty skilled at complaining?

Murmuring, grumbling, whining…all the same as complaining.

Sometimes I am diligent about choosing positive behavior…then I fall into a rut.

And isn’t it amazing how complaining perpetuates itself??
I can wind easily myself into a negative ball...then spend endless amounts of time free-falling like a Slinky on wooden steps...then spend days getting out of the mess. 

How about you? Have you wound yourself into a ball of complaints?

When I can finally untangle myself, pull the cords of negativity from my arms and legs and eyes and mouth…oh, goodness from my mouth…I remember that complaining does no good.

None. At all.

And the last thing I want to do is tell God the job He is doing is less than satisfactory!

We are on Day 14 of 31 Days of Examining My Heart…
I will do my best tomorrow to listen to Fr Hopko, to be more like Tori. Not the part where she eats grubs and sleeps a lot…the part where she doesn’t complain.

Praise and gratitude perpetuate themselves as well. Seems like a better path.

Maybe you will do your best too?

We will talk again tomorrow… BP


I’m participating with The Nester in 31 Days of Examining My Heart.
This is Day 14.
You can find all 31 Dayers here. There are so many wonderful topics.
If you miss any days in the series, you can find the introduction and each day's post here.



Beth Painter is a writer and motivational speaker. You can follow her on Facebook on the “Think Big focus small” page.

Beth is available to speak to your group about how to make your dreams and desires come to life!

No comments: